Tennessee Hunting Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Planning my 2012 garden. I want to try some new open pollinated varieties I got from Baker Creek. The one I am most excited about is the De Bourbonne pickling cukes. Nobody eats raw cukes here, so this is supposed to be an excellent pickling variety that is about the size of a pinkie finger at maturity. Hopefully these will make good pickles. Anyone else want to share their garden plans for this year?

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
We spread our lime and turned it under last weekend. I haven't decided yet on what to plant this year. We usually do around 10 rows of corn. 2-3 varietys.

Candy Corn, and Honey/Cream. Annie Oakley Orka..

My mother in law uses Miss Picklers pickle seeds. They turn out pretty good.

My wife tried to kill me when i finally stopped pulling her around!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I;ve used the Miss Picklers before; they turned out pretty good. At least my family tells me that, I don't care for pickles myself.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
We spread our lime and turned it under last weekend. I haven't decided yet on what to plant this year. We usually do around 10 rows of corn. 2-3 varietys.

Candy Corn, and Honey/Cream. Annie Oakley Orka..

My mother in law uses Miss Picklers pickle seeds. They turn out pretty good.

My wife tried to kill me when i finally stopped pulling her around!
Love that pic. Im gonna have to show that to my wife so she can see how its done in Belk.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
We just plowed on ours a bit Saturday. Used a 1948 Allis Chalmers and an antique 2 disc turner made by Athens Plow Co. in................. you guessed it Athens TN. It did a fine job. Heck of a lot better than a hoe.

As far as what we are gonna plant. Same ole same ole for the most part.

Corn, maters, watermelon, cantaloupe, okra, squash, bell peppers etc.

The only new that I know Im gonna throw in there is some smoking hot peppers. In my old age I have started to love a smokin hot pepper to go with my food.

1948 Allis Chalmers C.jpg Atens Plow Company--- 2 Disc turner.jpg Plowed Garden.jpg

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
The only new that I know Im gonna throw in there is some smoking hot peppers. In my old age I have started to love a smokin hot pepper to go with my food.
What kind of hot pepper? Jalapenos are by far my favorite. Great taste. Good heat without being overpowering.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
What kind of hot pepper? Jalapenos are by far my favorite. Great taste. Good heat without being overpowering.
Havent picked all of them yet. Cayenne and Jalapenos will be 2 of them though. Its hard to beat the taste of a small cayenne pepper thats light green. For me they get to hot to eat when they are a dark green color.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm hoping to grow a larger portion of our food this year, since groceries are stupidly high nowadays....so. Green beans, cukes, sweet and field corn, watermelons, peppers, tomatoes, spinach, zucchini and some pumpkins for the kids for Halloween.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I noticed this week that my Roma tomatoes from last year must have dropped some seeds. I have 8 "volunteer" seedlings. I love free stuff!

Haven't planted anything else though. It has been so dry. Hoping that if we get rain this week I can get some stuff planted.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
We put our beans,cucumbers,orka,tomatos, and watermelons out. gonna do the squash and corn this weekend.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
We had all ours planted except the okra a couple of weeks ago. Got corn coming pretty well now.

The heat (im assuming) killed my squash and cucumbers though. Gonna have to replace them Monday I reckon. I gotta have fried squash this summer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Planted the beans and cukes this weekend. I planted them along the fence of our corral. May as well grow up, since I have the fencing for it. Still waiting to put in the melons, pumpkins, and corn. With my husband cutting hay, we always end up late putting stuff in. Hay cutting time is also the perfect time for planting. Hopefully we'll get everything else planted this week.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
We had our garden out and looking decent.. way too dry on the lake this year. But we have a new neighbor and she asked if she could have a row to put some tomato plants out. We should sure no problem. This lady walks all over our okra and squash. Corn ended up having to be redone too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We had our garden out and looking decent.. way too dry on the lake this year. But we have a new neighbor and she asked if she could have a row to put some tomato plants out. We should sure no problem. This lady walks all over our okra and squash. Corn ended up having to be redone too.
that's awful! Isn't it terrible when you try to do someone a favor and it ends up like that?

The corn is up, although it's really short for this time of year because of dryness. Tomato plants look good, and so do my cukes, peppers and beans.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts