Tennessee Hunting Club Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If someone can walk me through creating a blog in Amurican instead of computerese, I'll give it a try.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
If your signed into the forums just go to the blogs section located under the tnhuntingclub logo. You will notice a "create new post" at the top right. I believe that will get you started.

Im new at these blog forums as well. I will be learning with ya. It looks like we can turn our forum posts into blog posts just by pushing a button. I am gonna try that with one of your posts from earlier today.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
It looks like we can turn our forum posts into blog posts just by pushing a button. I am gonna try that with one of your posts from earlier today.
Well that doesnt work like I thought it would but it just shows how stupid I am! If I click on one of your posts (Blog this Post) option on bottom left of a post in the forums it would post it to my blog.

So if I saw something you wrote in the forums that I wanted to show off to my blog followers than I could do it with a touch of a button. Nice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hell, I have two blogs but I don't administer either of them. I don't really even know what blog is. So let me get this straight. If I write something, post it and then it would become a blog? This computer crap blows me away. That's why I have a guy who does all this for me. I traded him an outboard motor to be my guy for life when it comes to computers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well dang! That is apparently what it did. Now what is the difference between my post above and a blog? Seems like just repeating your self to me?

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Well dang! That is apparently what it did. Now what is the difference between my post above and a blog? Seems like just repeating your self to me?
Scribe,
It's pretty late now, but I'll do my best to get some clarifications for you on this tomorrow or Friday.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. No hurry, I may have to shoot baseball games all weekend and when I do that, I don't feel like computerations.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
fairfarmhand is in the process of setting up her blog. I noticed she had a title already. We will pick her brain for tips on getting the blog running along smoothly with no hiccups. It should be very simple once we learn what buttons to push.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok, folks, I heard my name over here and I thought that I'd pop in to let you know some of the stuff I've learned by playing with the blog buttons over the last couple days. First, you want to click on the Blog button at the top of this page. That should take you to the BLOGS page. At the top you should have a couple tabs: MY BLOG, RECENT ENTRIES, MOST POPULAR, MEMBER BLOGS, and BLOG SETTINGS.

Click on BLOG SETTINGS to name your blog. In the text box, type in your title and in the bigger text box you can add a description of your blog. To walk you through this tutorial, I'm going to title my imaginary blog "Mayberry Moments." Blog description: "Highlights from every Southerner's favorite classic television show."

Off on the left-hand side of this same page, is a BLOG SETTINGS box. After you've named your blog, you can change some of the settings of your blog.

ORGANIZE SIDEBAR simply allows you to rearrange the order of the options in your sidebar of your blog. By changing the numbers in the display order boxes in the middle column, you can switch around what comes first, second, etc. in your sidebar. Each box is automatically checked, but if you don't want to offer that option in your blog, just click it to uncheck that box. I've used the original settings, since I haven't thought of a good reason to rearrange them.

EDIT CUSTOM PAGES-- Not sure yet what this does. I will play with it some more this week and report back what happens.

PERMISSIONS AND PRIVACY--This allows you to manage who can leave comments, view your blog, etc.

BLOG STATISTICS--Allows you to track how many people are looking at what you are posting

MANAGE CATEGORIES--This tab lets you create tags that will help organize your blog entries with just a few clicks. For my fictitious blog, I might add categories Andy, Blundering Barney, Opie and Ernest T. Bass.

MANAGE GROUPS, MANAGE GROUPS, MANAGE ENTRY SUBSCRIPTIONS—These all allow you to manage the way your blog is shared with others.

After you have set up the basics of you blog, you can post your first entry. So, you will go to the MY BLOG tab at the top of the page. This should take you to a page that displays the title of your blog, and in a box to the left, some information about the blog. It will display your profile pic and a couple other things, along with some of your pertinent blog information, like tags, categories and a search feature. These things will help visitors find extra information in your pile of blog entries.

To begin your first post, click on the button in the upper right hand corner that says CREATE NEW POST. This will take you to a screen that includes everything you need to create a blog entry. At the bottom of the page are check boxes for you to help categorize your newest blog entry. You can also decide how you want your view comments to be displayed, or whether you want them displayed or not. You can add photo attachments at the bottom of the page using the MANAGE ATTACHMENTS button. And don't forget to select the PUBLISH NOW tab when you are all ready to publish your blog. Otherwise it may be saved as a work in progress and noone will ever see it but you!

When you have every thing just the way that you want it, you can click the preview button to get a peek at how your entry will look when you do publish. Then just click on POST NOW to send your entry to the World Wide Web for the first time.

So there you go. Clear as mud, right? Let me know if you have any other questions and I will try to answer them if I can. I am still learning myself, so I may or may not be able to answer, but I will give it my best shot!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Editing a post:

Click on the MY BLOG button. You should see your recent posts. Then to the right of your title there should be this teeny tiny little pencil icon. Click on that to edit your previous work. Don't forget to hit the save button at the bottom of the page.The only thing I haven't been able to edit are the tags on each post. I have a typo in one of my tags which really annoys me, but I can't see anyplace to edit that.

Adding a photo:

The attachments buttons should be at the very bottom of your page, underneath the BLOG ENTRY SUBSCRIPTIONS subtitle.

Editing Tags:

HA! Just found out how to edit tags! On the opening page of the blog (MY BLOGS button) below each entry is a tags button. If you mouse over the TAGS section you will see a little bitty TAGS icon upon which you can click to edit the tags of a post. MY typo is GONE!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I see that you now have a picture on your blog page. Did you figure it out? Also, tags are a way of categorizing your posts so that people can more easily search for topics. When you create a new post, underneath the main text box, you can enter in up to 5 tags separated by commas to help with categorization.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
1- Got that picture on by editing then copy and paste. However, cannot get it to work on the second item or blog or whatever you call it. Can't figure it out. I'll try again when I get drunk.

Ahh screwit. I got that picture on and now the first one got moved to the wrong place. Think I'll go back to the New Mexico desert and make another movie. At least my cameragirl knew where to stand.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll try something new. I think I have an idea that ight work. I'll keep on pitching untiol I get it write.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts